Yup, I went for the StanChart run again! But the challenge is of a different level this time round - 21 km.
What a painful process! Actually, the first few kilometres were great because I was telling myself to go at a comfortable pace and to enjoy the scenery. At the 7-km mark, Geri and I found each other and there was company to cheer things up. Even when we hit 12 km, I still had the mood to let out a joyful exclamation which greatly amused Geri.
And then... 13... 14... 15... there didn't seem to be an end to the route. So it was about 16 or 17-ish km (we've basically lost count and there were no signs) that I could not take and anymore. Succumbed to the threatening symptoms of sore thighs, hurting left knee and numbness in the head (?) and hence, starting walking.
Gosh, and once we walked, it felt too good to start running again. Attempted to pick up a running pace a couple of times but to no avail. It was only when we were left with the final kilometre that we found enough mental strength to jog till the end. Actually, we even had sufficient energy to finish the race with a little sprint. Haha.
So there, my little experience of a gruelling half-marathon.
Will I go for it again?
If you've asked me yesterday, the answer would be a firm 'NO'.
But today? Perhaps yes.
True, it was painful. But in a sadistic way, it was quite fun. And funny too. Haha.
So... squint! And see the '21.1 km' on the medal! What a hard-earned piece of metal!
No comments:
Post a Comment