Saturday, October 11, 2008

all walks of life



One of the Singapore Biennale exhibits - put up using many pairs of flip flops worn by the inmates - supposedly related to the Yellow Ribbon project. Took a photo of a pair and editted the hue to get the above picture. Pretty artistic, eh?

Somehow it just reminded me of the saying that we can only truly understand/empathise with another person until we've walked around in his/her shoes. But sometimes that might not even be enough... Like Atticus in TKAM said, "You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view... until you climb into his SKIN and walk around in it."

(Ahhh, now I feel like reading nice novels like TKAM and watching nice films like Les Choristes.)

Back to my above point, I've always felt like I'm a very bad 'empathiser' because my life is too smooth sailing. Not that I hope for terrible things to befall me but sometimes I just feel so inadequate to help the people around me or just too insensitive to people's feelings. Oh well.

No comments: