Wednesday, September 17, 2008

'What are you doing today?'

Many interesting encounters, many thoughts, many lessons learnt.
So much so that they are all jumbled up in my head.

Perhaps it's easier quoting a story from somewhere -

"In the Middle Ages a man was sent to a building site in France to see how the workers felt about their labour. He approached the first worker and asked, 'What are you doing?'

The worker snapped at him, 'Are you blind? I'm cutting these impossible boulders with primitive tools and putting them together the way the boss tells me. I'm sweating under this hot sun. My back is breaking. I'm bored. I make next to nothing!'

The man quickly backed away and found a second worker to whom he asked the same question, 'What are you doing?'

The second worker replied, 'I'm shaping these boulders into useable forms. Then they are put together according to the architect's plans. I earn five francs a week, and that supports my wife and family. It's a job. Could be worse.'

A little encouraged but not overwhelmed by this response, the man went to yet a third worker. 'What are you doing?' he asked.

'Why, can't you see?' the worker said as he lifted his arm to the sky. 'I'm building a cathedral!'

How we regard our work may not affect whether a task gets done or not. It will, however, have an impact on the quality of our work and our productivity. Those who see value in their jobs enjoy a greater sense of purpose.

Any job can be done with grace, dignity, style and purpose; you only have to choose to see it that way!"


[Source: Quiet Moments with GOD (for teachers)]

I suspect I am more like the second worker on most days. So yes, I'm happy, in the sense that I am contented. I know the 'purpose' of my job rationally and practically.

But from this little story, I've realised there's more to 'the joy of teaching' (or any vocation at all) - Those certain rare occasions, when I get a hint of the 'I am moulding lives!' feeling. And suddenly I am thankful for the privilege that I get to do it.

A matter of perspective?

No comments: