This morning, as I struggled to complete the 3.6-km cross-country run alongside 13-16 year-olds, this thought popped into mind - Youth is an asset, not an expendable consumption good. If so, have I invested wisely? Or perhaps I would like to think that I have yet to exhaust all of my youth, in which case the question is, how shall I get a greater mileage from its remaining years?
Yesterday, my dad offered to sponsor me to study law, after reading some news in the papers. The offer came two years late, I suppose, just as I have completed my part-time masters with SMU. I reckon I have really spent too much of my life studying and not doing anything of authentic value, except to satisfy my own intellectual curiosity.
Yet strangely, I was semi-excited at the prospect of taking up the offer. When I was younger, I did consider the legal profession - too much John Grisham and Ally McBeal maybe. Then again, when I was younger, nothing required much commitment yet and everything seemed possible. Ah, youth and its promises of endless possibilities.
Anyway, the upshot of my rambling is that I am searching for a compelling purpose and passion, so that even as my youth fades away, there will be still be some magic fuel to sustain the drive in me.
No comments:
Post a Comment